Data Table and Repeater Question Types
The purpose of Data Table and Repeater question type when used on the forms allows an applicant to provide their information in a grid (table) format. Additionally, the grid allows applicant to enter multiple rows of similar information. A good use of the Data Table and Repeater Question Type is in a Grant site to address multiple addresses for a program. In the case of Scholarship sites, these field types can be used for entering Extra-Curricular Activities or entering multiple SAT Scores one can utilize these functionalities.
Data Table Question Type
Data Table question type allows you to create a grouping of questions. Each question will appear as a separate column in a table grid either at the top or bottom of the section.
Repeater Question Type
The repeater question type allows you to create a grouping of questions. The questions will appear in a horizontal grid format without a border.
How to add the Data Table and the Repeater Question Type to my section
- Step 1: Create a section with the following settings as seen below
- Section Type - Admin
- Staff Section - Yes
- Click Save
- Step 2: Click on the Add Question button.
- Step 3: Add Questions that needs to appear in a single row of the grid as shown below:
- Step 4: Next step is to create the applicant section that will show the new created questions in a grid to the applicants. To do that, create a new section with Section Type Application. For Example, a Section by the name SAT Scores as show below.
- Step 5: For this section add a question by clicking on “Add Question”.
- Step 6: Select Question Type as “Data Table” or “Repeater Question” depending on your display preference as explained above.
- Step 7: Enter all the basic attributes for a question. Additionally, on the data table question or repeater question select the following properties:
- Select Section: Select the staff section that you just created
- Select Columns: Select the list of questions to be used from the source section which is linked with this question.
- Show Edit: If selected as Yes, Edit option will appear against each row of the grid(table).
- Show Delete: If selected as Yes, delete option will appear against each row of the grid(table).
- Save Button Text: The text set here will appear as the language for the Save option.
- Display Grid Location (Top / Bottom): Choose the option to either display the list at the top or bottom of the page.
- Click on Save & Exit
Applicant view of the Data Table Question
The questions will appear vertically on the page. Click on Add to Save the responses. These responses will appear at the Grid (table) as a list under each question’s column. Each separate row of the grid is a new record grouping. There is no limit on the number of rows which the applicant can add to the list’
Note: When the applicant is completing the grouping of questions, they will display in a vertical listed view. If using conditional logic on questions, the questions will appear in the vertical listing based on the logic set. However, in the grid view, all the included questions will appear in the grid as a separate column, even if logic was set, and blank replies will show for those question’s columns that have the conditions if not answered or applicable to this record.
Applicant View of Repeater Question Type
- As the applicant completes the repeater section the questions will appear horizontally across the screen. After each group entry the applicant must click the “Add” button to add another record.
- If there are more fields that can appear on the page, a scroll option will appear on the grouping so that the applicant can scroll left to right to complete all the field requirements
When viewing the Data table and Repeater questions in the Application Preview, and PDF view the grid format will appear if there are less than 5 columns/field questions. If there are more than 5 columns /question fields the questions will be grouped vertically in the view.
Ad Hoc Reporting for Data Table/ Repeater Question
When pulling the data table/repeater questions into Ad Hoc reporting you will need to select the individual question from the hidden staff section not the actual data table/ repeater question. There will be a separate line entry per each data table/repeater group in the report screen. (I.e., if the applicant answered the data table/repeater 3 times, the applicant will be listed in the report three times; each occurrence will list a separate data table/repeater grouping.)